Parwal is also known as Trichosanthes dioica is also known as the pointed gourd, parwal/parval (from Hindi), or potol (from Assamese, Oriya or Bengali (পটল) pôţol) "Paror" in Maithili, "Parol" in Magahi and "Parwal" in Bhojpuri, Urdu and Awadhi. Colloquially, in India, it is often called green potato. It is widely cultivated in the eastern and some northern part of India, particularly in Odisha, Bengal, Assam, Bihar, and Uttar Pradesh. It is a good source of carbohydrates, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It also contains major nutrients and trace elements (magnesium, potassium, copper, sulfur, and chlorine) which are needed in small quantities, for playing essential roles in human physiology.
Parwal Aloo Ki Sabzi
1. 250 gms of Parwal
2. 2 small Potatoes
3. 1 tsp of coriander seeds
4. 1 tsp of zeera / cuminsseds
5. Salt and red chili powder to taste
6. 1 tsp of red chili powder
7. Pinch of Hing
8. 1 tsp of turmeric powder
9. 1 tsp of coriander powder
10. Oil and ½ cup of water
11. 1 tbsp of Ginger
1. Wash, and peel the Parwal, as some of them will have really hard skin. If they are really fresh, you don’t have to peel them.
2. Heat Oil in nonstick pan.
3. Add ginger, coriander and cumin seeds.
4. When it turns little pink add all dry spices except Hing.
5. Now add Potatoes and Parwal.
6. Keep on sautéing as they are little brown
7. Add hing and water and stir.
8. Cook at low heat till they are soft will take around 15 minutes.
9. Serve hot with fresh hot roti or rice.
1. 250 gms of Parwal
2. 1 big onion sliced thinly
3. Salt to taste
5. 1 tbsp of amchoor powder
6. 1 ½ tsp of turmeric powder
7. 1 tbsp of red chili powder
8. 1 tsp of coriander powder
9. 1 ½ tsp of cumin powder
10. 1 tsp of anardana powder
11. 1 tsp of fennel (sauf) powder
1. Was and peel the parwal, and cut them in half.
2. Mix all dry spices together in a bowl.
3. Put all the parwal in a mixing bowl with mixture of spices. Shake it well, and let it sit for 30 minutes altleast.
4. Heat a nonstick pan with 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil is really hot drop in the parwal one by one. When they turn little bit brown and crispy turn eth other side with spatula.
5. Remove the parwal and then add onions sauté them for 5 minutes with salt and red chili powder, and add Parwal again.
6. Cook it for 8-10 minutes with low heat and close lid.
7. Serve hot with ice or roti, or parantha.
So here are two easy ways to prepare Parwal, you can do many other ways. If I will try something I will definitely share the recipe with you.