Chow mein (/ˈtʃaʊ ˈmeɪn/) are stir-fried noodles, the name being an English language corruption of the Taishanese chāu-mèing. The dish is popular throughout the Chinese diaspora where it will appear on the menu of Chinese restaurants. It is particularly popular in the United States and Britain It is commonly known as Loomein here in USA.
Here is my quick and easy version of homemade Chinese noodles for you.
1. 2 cup of dry egg noodles or dry spaghetti pasta par boiled.(al dente)
2. Green Beans (1 cup sliced in two parts)
3. Red Bell peppers (½ cup sliced) or choose any color
4. Mushrooms (1/2 cup sliced)
5. Red Onions (1/2 cup sliced)
6. 2 tbsp of garlic and ginger chopped finely
7. 2 tbsp of olive oil
8. 2 tbsp of red chili flakes
9. Dark Soy Sauce( opt for low sodium)
11. Scallions/ Green onion for garnishing
1. Blanch the beans in hot boiling water for 3-5 minutes and then take them out and put in ice cold water. This way beans will be still crunchy but not raw and still maintain green color.
2. Heat the wok on medium heat add oil.
3. Add ginger and garlic with red chili flakes, let them be light pink and add all veggies one by one.
4. Sauté the vegetables for 5-6 minutes, do not stir them just shake your wok to turn them around.
5. At this point of time, if you want to add an egg you can add it now, but if you want vegetarian version just add boiled noodles.
6. Stir the noodles with tongs. Let them get some color.
7. Now when the noodle are ready add 1 tbsp of vinegar and 2 tbsp of soy sauce and mix it well.
8. Let them cook till soy sauce evaporates and then add little bit salt if required.
9. Serve hot and garnish with scallions.
Chowmein/Loomein are everyone’s favorite now you can make them home instead of eating outside and eating high calories food and destroying your health.