My husband and my brother love butter chicken, so I had to learn this. I went through all the recipes and combined few and came up with my version. It came out so yummy that even the bowls were licked…hope you will like it too.
1. ½ kg (500 gms) skinless Chicken(you can use boneless if you want, I used the Chicken thigh and drumsticks only)
2. 1 lemon (juice)
3. ½ tsp of red chili powder / cayenne pepper
4. Salt to taste
5. 1 ½ cup of fresh hung curd
6. 2 tbsp of heavy cream
7. 1 tbsp of ginger minced
8. 1tbsp of garlic minced
9. 1 tbsp of kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves
10. Pinch of red –orange food color
11. 1 tsp of garam masala
For Gravy Paste
1. 4 medium fresh red tomatoes
2. 1 cup tomato ketchup
3. 2 big red onions puree
4. 2 tbsp ginger paste
5. 2 tbsp of garlic paste
6. 3 tbsp white / unsalted butter
7. 1 tbsp fresh cream
8. Salt to taste
9. 1 tsp red chili powder
10. 3 tbsp fresh cashew nut paste
11. ½ tsp turmeric powder
12. 1 tsp dhania / coriander powder
13. 1 tbsp kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
14. 2 tsp garam masala powder
15. 1 bay leaf dry or fresh
16. 2 cloves
17. ½ tsp of sugar
1. Wash the chicken pieces well; poke them with fork for marinating well.
2. Take a zip lock bag and add marinating wet and dry items and shake it well.
3. Now add the chicken to it and toss, keep this in fridge aside(minimum 6-8 hrs or overnight)
4. Grill the chicken pieces for 40 minutes, 20 minutes each side by rubbing oil on each side.
5. For gravy paste now take 2 cups of water and boil now add fresh tomatoes (halved).
6. When they turn little soft remove from flame and throw the water in another bowl.
7. Cool the tomatoes and peel them and puree them. Keep it aside.
8. Now dip the cashews in warm water for 15 minutes and then make the paste of it.
9. Puree the blanched onions.
10. In a non stick pan heat the butter on low heat. (Let it melt slowly)
11. Add the bay leaf and cloves.
12. When they change little color add ginger and garlic paste. Let the garlic cook for two minutes.
13. Add Onion paste and sauté till light brown.
14. Now add fresh tomato puree.
15. Stir it well and then add tomato ketchup.
16. Let it cook for 10 minutes so that it reduces down.
17. Add red color and chili powder.
18. Add crushed kasuri methi, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala.
19. Now sugar and add the cashew paste and stir for two minutes.
20. Add salt to taste and a ½ cup of water (which was left for tomatoes to blanch) and let it cook on medium heat till you get the desired curry consistency.
21. Add the chicken pieces and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat with closed lid.
22. Garnish with fresh cream.
23. Serve the Butter Tangri Chicken with Naan (Indian flat bread) or plain steamed rice.
TIP :- To puree the onions for curry, skin the onions and blanch them in hot water for 3 - 4 minutes then puree them to form a paste. It will give good paste rather dry oinions.