This is new version of eggplant, I ever made and tasted, but I have some of the ingredients used in south Indian cooking. When I bought this week to try something with this, I never found any recipes for green eggplant other than green bharta, which I don’t want to try. So I created my own version, I hope you will like it too like my family loved it.
1. 5 green round Eggplant/ Baingan cut in ¼ inch slices
2. One Onion (chopped roughly)
3. One tomato diced
4. 3-4 green chilies (according to you, you can also opt for dry red chilies)
5. 3-4 garlic cloves
6. ½ cup of peanut
7. 2 tbsp or 8-10 leaves of kaddipatta / curry leaves
8. 1 tsp of cumin seeds
9. 1 tsp of fennel / sauf seeds
10. ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds
11. ½ tsp of coriander seeds
12. Salt to taste
13. 1 tbsp of imli / tamarind concentrate
15. ½ tps pf turmeric, red chili powder, cumin and amchoor / mango powder each
1. Heat oil in a non stick pan and add slices of eggplant in it.
2. Stir fry them till both the sides are slightly brown.
3. Take them out and keep them aside in a bowl.
4. In the same pan add little bit oil again and add onion garlic and green chilies and saute them till light golden.
5. Add peanuts and curry leaves also now and keep on shaking the pan, so that they don’t burn.
6. Now with a spoon just shift all the onion aside and add the dry spices, let them stand for 2 minutes and then mix with onion mixture.
7. Now mix in the tomatoes and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
8. Add all the dry spices now, salt, red chili powder, turmeric, mango and cumin powder and cook for another 2 minutes. Let it cool down and take off the heat.
9. In a mixing bowl or cup add tamarind concentrate in little water.
10. In a mixer/grinder add the onion/peanut masala with tamarind water and blend it really well. The mixture will be turned out as little grainy, but this is what you are looking for.
11. Add the mixture in same pan and cook with ½ cup of water. Bring it to boil.
12. Add the sliced green eggplant and let it cook in low heat for 5-8 minutes.
13. Serve with hot roti or parantha , naan or rice.