1. 2 cups Chole/Chana/Garbanzo Beans (soaked overnight in salty warm water with two tea bags)
a. [adding Tea Bags will turn Chana Black from White in Color].
2. 2 tomatoes (chopped)
3. 1 cup Tomato Puree or Paste (you can buy any brand Tomato puree)
4. Puree the chopped Tomatoes and Tomato Puree/Paste in Chopper together
5. 3 nos. medium Onions (finely chopped in chopper)
6. 2 cloves minced Garlic (optional as per taste)
7. 1 tbsp. Ginger paste
8. 2 no. Green Chilies chopped
9. Salt to taste
10. ¼ tsp. Turmeric powder
11. 1 ½ tsp. Red Chili Powder
12. 1 tsp. Coriander powder
13. 4 tsp. Vegetable Oil / Extra Virgin Olive Oil
14. ¼ tsp. Garam Masala Powder (Can get this from any Indian Grocery store for 2 US$)
15. 3 tsp. of Chana Masala Powder (Can get this from any Indian Grocery store for 2 US$)
16. ¼ tsp. Cumin Seeds
1. Coriander leave
2. 2 nos. small Onions and 1 Tomato chopped in Rings
1. Boil Chole/Chana along with tea bags in pressure cooker/Microwave till they become soft.
2. On Medium Low Heat, Heat the Pan first and put Oil in Pan.
3. When oil is ready (you can throw one cumin seed if it sizzles then oil is ready) add Cumin seeds.
4. When Cumin Seeds splutter add minced Garlic and Ginger Paste.
5. Add chopped Onions and add a pinch of Salt and fry till they turn brown (Adding salt while frying Onions makes it quicker to fry Onions)
6. Add coriander powder and fry for some time till it becomes light brown.
7. Add turmeric powder & chili powder and Salt to taste.
8. Add Garam Masala and Chana Masala and again fry for some time.
9. Add Pureed tomatoes and fry till the oil leaves from the sides.
10. Add chopped Green Chilies.
11. Take out the Tea Bags and Add Chole/Chana into the Pan without water and stir so that it gets mixed up well.
12. Add the same water which was left in pressure cooker while boiling Chole/Chana .
13. Cook the Chole/Chana with gravy for 8-12 min’s till gravy dries (but Chana or Masala should not burn).
14. Garnish with Coriander Leaves and ring Onions and Tomato.
- Chitra Pal