Here is the recipe I learnt from my mom, she cooked it for my brother and me a lot when we were kids. After getting married now, I miss her food so much, so I am just trying my best to do this. This one is for you Mom, I miss you.
· 2 cups of Rice
· 3/4 cup of Whole Masoor daal
(You can get this ½ kg from any Indian store for 4-5 $)
· 1 tsp of Cumin/Zeera
· Salt & black pepper to taste
· 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
· 1 yellow and 1 green bell pepper chopped roughly in size
· 2 tsp of vinegar
· 2 tsp of hot sauce
Vegetable/Canola/Olive oil (except mustard oil)
· Soak Rice and Daal for 30 minutes before you make pulao
· In non stick skillet add 2 tsp of any oil (you use for cooking) on med heat
· Add Cumin/Zeera seeds
· When Cumin seeds splutter add salt and red chili powder
· Now add soaked rice and masoor daal without water.
· Stir for 2-3 minutes and now add 1 ½ cups of water
· Pulao will be ready in 10-15 minutes
· In another non stick skillet, add ½ tsp of oil.
· Add chopped bell peppers.
· Now let them cook 5-10 minutes till they turn little pink brown on low heat.
· Now add ¼ cup of water and let it cook for 5 minutes.
· After they are cooked keep them aside and add salt and pepper to taste and let it sit till pulao is ready.
· Now add hot sauce and vinegar to them and stir it so that each bell pepper is coated with
Serve in individual serving dish and garnish Pulao with sides of bell peppers with sauce drizzled on top and enjoy.