1. 3 Whole Amritsari Vadiyaan (urad daal) break in small bite size pieces
2. 2 onions sliced vertically
3. 2 potatoes sliced vertically like French fries
4. 2 cups of green peas (fresh)
5. 3 cups of basmati rice soaked in water
6. 2 bay leaf / tej pata
7. 1 big black cardamom
8. Salt and Red chili powder to taste
9. 3 green chilies with slit in middle
10. 1 tbsp of ginger
11. 3 tbsp of Oil
12. 2 tbsp of lemon juice
1. In a non stick deep dish pan / kadiay add oil
2. When oil is hot add ginger and green chilies.
3. Sauté them on low heat, when ginger turns pink add bay leaf, cardamom.
4. Turn to high heat now and add vadiyaan pieces and roast them.
5. When vadiyaan turn golden brown add potatoes and let them fry.
6. When potatoes are half done, then add onions and peas.
7. Sauté them and add salt and red chili powder.
8. Now add soaked rice without water and sauté them for 4 minutes.
9. Now turn the gas to medium heat and add water. Stir with wooden spoon and add lemon juice.
10. Cover the pan with heavy lid and let it cook.
11. Serve hot with cold cucumber raita and vinegar onions or any kind of pickle.-Chitra